Have a horse you can't catch? Click here for help!

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

War Horse - Stories Within Stories

On the heels of yesterday's post about movies, I saw War Horse today. I'm not going to spoil it (I got spoiled). It has the usual themes, lovable protagonists, great scenery. The dude who plays Joey's owner is pretty good-looking. That gave me pause. Wait? How old is he supposed to be? Am I a pervert? I got all distracted by that and then lost myself in pretty horsey scenes.

The dude who plays his Dad (drunken, damaged) resembles the father from a Knight's Tale. Maybe it's the same actor? Or is the old guy who turns up later the Knight's Tale guy? No matter. The film, though it's designed to stir your emotions, does not have a romance subplot shoe-horned in there! Yay! Damn refreshing, if you ask me.

If you have to take a trip to the can mid-movie (I typically do but didn't today), don't miss the part with the plucky young French girl. Squeeze your knees together, and do your Kegels, or you'll miss some of the best lines of the movie. Adorbs! I don't use that word often and I know it's a stupid word, but no other word would do.

My eyes watered but there was no tear spillage. I'm a movie crier, so today was a one-off. I have ugly-cried at a movie within the past year and didn't want to repeat THAT performance.

The most saddening thing is that, to me, horses marching into war parallel the marching of horses into slaughter. So it follows, then, that anyone crying at War Horse would be anti-slaughter? And if you're anti-slaughter, you shouldn't be eating meat? I have some ideas that reconcile these themes. They don't involve strict vegetarianism or anything. It's a topic for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment